Saturday, September 20, 2008

Must See TV: Cable Edition

(1) Jon & Kate Plus 8 (Monday, TLC) I love this show!! They are amazing people. I love watching Jon and Kate bicker during their sit-down interviews! I find it so interesting how each of the 6 "little kids" can have such unique personalities despite spending all of their time together doing the same things.

(2) Project Runway (Wednesday, Bravo) I just picked this show up last year which was its 4th Season. However, I have seen most of Season 3 via reruns as well. Season 5 has been equally exciting, despite the lack of a go to contestant for quotes and opinions like Christian Siriano was last season, and the challenges just get crazier!

(3) Dr. 90210 (Monday, E!) I love plastic surgery! I wish they would show more of it, but it is E! after all. Dr. Rey is pretty crazy. I don't think I would choose him if I were ever going to have plastic surgery. He says some creepy stuff to girls, borderline sexual harassment if you ask me, and he always swings his scissors around his finger-like a lifeguard with a whistle-right over the patient as they lie there unconscious on the operating table. Don't even get me started on Dr. Rey's nutbag, anorexic wife. YUCK! Dr. Will (of Big Brother fame) joined the cast last season, he really is a Doctor, specifically a dermatologist. He has toned it down a little since BB, but still funny. Mike Boogie even made an appearance last season as well, because Will and Boogie own a restaurant together....which Dr. Will always eats at on the show.

(4) Flipping Out (Bravo) This show features ex-boyfriends who flip million dollar homes in and around LA. Currently it is between seasons, season 2 aired over the summer. They are pretty interesting characters, but they make some beautiful homes!

(5) The Girls Next Door (Sunday, E!) My interest here isn't really because of Playboy, I would still watch them if they were some other rich guy's girlfriends. They just say and do funny stuff and obviously live their lives a little different than most of us. I do find it very interesting when we get to see where they are from or meet members of their family. Bridget and Holly both are from what seem to be very normal families in small-town America. I can only imagine what its like for them (and their classmates) to return home for a class reunion. I also find it very interesting that Bridget has both a Bachelors and Master's degree.

(6) What Not To Wear (Friday, TLC) I love, love, love this show. I watched many reruns of this over the summer. They take people who are horribly out of touch with fashion (as well as class, dignity, and/or self confidence) and teach them how to dress appropriately-and fashionably-for their life and career. I have learned so many great tips from this show!

(7) Shear Genius (Bravo) This too just recently ended its newest season. It was a reality competition for hair-stylists. It was fun.

(8) Entourage & Flight of the Conchords (HBO) Two shows we loved to watch, but we no longer have HBO. Flight of the Conchords is quite weird and I am sure most of you would not like it. Entourage rocks. It is roughly based on Mark Wahlberg's experiences as an up-and-coming actor with his childhood friends from Queens all living Hollywood. You probably have heard of it because Jeremy Piven (HILARIOUS) has won 2 Emmys and a Golden Globe for his role as agent Ari Gold. Awesome!!

Last night we were really bored and some obscure channel was showing episodes from last season's Californication (Showtime). We really liked it! There is a reason its only on Showtime and I think there were even more reasons that we unfortunately didn't get to see because it was an edited version for cable. We no longer have Showtime, so likely we won't be seeing any of the new episodes.

Side note, I remember as a youth I would watch award shows and find myself so frustrated when shows that I never watched (i.e. those not on network television because that was all we had at the time) would win the award. Having grown up and watched those shows on channels like HBO and Showtime....they deserve to win! These shows are so much better and edgier. They have much more freedom to write the story they want without all of the restriction that are in place with cable and network TV (i.e. language and nudity, which truly can add to a story). Obviously these shows are not for all ages, but those of us old enough to watch and understand are in for a real treat!

2 comments:

Makenzie said...

Tabitha's Salon Takeover on Bravo is missing from your list. She is so real and says exactly what you are thinking but wouldn't dare say to someone. Hopefully Hayden won't ever have to face her.

Weeds which is on Showtime should be added to the list. Although I am not a user or believer of weed the show that is all about making/selling weed is rather dramatic and keeps you coming back for more.

Whitney Coleman said...

I've watched a few episodes with Hayden when I was home last. I like her, but the episodes I saw had drama queen owners that wouldn't take responsibility and that's why I haven't watched another one yet.
I've heard good things about Weeds, I think Brian has watched it some too.