Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Poopy Exam

Have you ever had human feces "show up" at your work? What? That doesn't happen to everyone while they are working.....well it happened to me...TRUE STORY!

Here's what happened....
So I am trying to give an exam to a 30-something year old man while his rambunctious-maybe 3 or 4 year old-nephew was not-so-patiently sitting in the corner. This exam was off to a rocky start anyway both because of the hyperactive child and because the patient was having some real troubles reading the chart and performing many of the tests I was asking him to do. Suddenly a very "funky" smell started to fill the room. After a few minutes it grew so intense I was using all my brain power just to fight off my gag reflex and keep my composure. I had no idea from whom or where the smell was coming. I excused myself from the exam room in order to go ask my preceptor for some advice. When I returned to the room, the uncle (my patient) asked me if there was a bathroom they could use because his nephew had just POOPED ON THE FLOOR of the exam room! Luckily, if you want to call it that, he had cleaned it up and thrown "it" in the trash. Needless to say we were not able to use that exam room anymore. We had to relocate (me, patient, and poopy pants nephew) to another exam room to finish. Should have known with my luck that this gentleman would be one of the more difficult cases I have had this year and he (and nephew) would be with me for another hour and a half!
Needless to say, it was a day (and smell) I won't soon forget!!

1 comment:

Makenzie said...

Dominic said he is excited for you to give him an eye exam so he can leave you a surprise too.