On Thursdays, I, along with some good family and friends from VF, (sister Makenzie, sister-in-law Laura, Amber, Sarah and Kate) have been playing in a volleyball league in Lawrence. It's a competitive league so the serves and spikes both come pretty hard. This last Thursday I was having a rough night; i.e. I sucked really bad. It seemed as though the serves were extra hard that night too (no excuse for crappy passing, but maybe for the excessive bruising). I was shanking passes (or "bumps") left and right and became the number one target for the opposing servers. We played a double header so I got to suck it up for two consecutive matches.
I have been playing volleyball since the 4th grade and I have NEVER had bruises like these!! This pic was taken on Saturday evening. They started out black and blue on Friday, but after playing a sand tournament on Saturday they got kind of reddish-brown. I think they were actually darker in person than what this picture shows and much more noticeable--you can't miss them if you try.
So why did I bruise like this this time and never before? The consensus seems to be because I am getting old. I was thinking maybe a vitamin deficiency or something, but when I got to work and saw my first patient (a nurse) and was explaining my awful looking arms and how I have never bruised like this before she kindly suggested it's because I am getting older. Some co-workers echoed this same theory. Yippee :( I am still holding out for some nutritional cause.
2 comments:
WHITNEY...I've already told you, you played just fine last Thursday!! I'm with ya on the bruising (not as much as you), but right when they start fading another Thursday comes around. Well, see ya tomorrow for another round! Hopefully the margaritas will help with the blood flow in our fore arms!
I don't buy the getting older theory. I bruise and show every little bump but that didn't start happening until I was 60. Gma
Post a Comment