I did not make any political specific posts during the election because-like Oprah-I know what an influence I can have on you all and don't want to use my power to sway your vote. (just kidding)
Now that it is over I just want to have one celebration post. Last night was (in your best Oprah yell) AAAAMMMMAAAAZZZINGG!!! Can you imagine what it would have been like to have stood in Grant Park last night and witnessed that firsthand? WOW!
I have a had a number of conversations with people about the election and the one thing that always comes up is that McCain was a respectable man and has done a lot for this country. However, it was time for change and McCain was not change enough.
If you did not watch the speeches last night, both McCain's concession speech and Obama's acceptance speech, then you really should get online and see them. I was very proud of McCain for his gracious words it was an honorable speech. (Having read some of the nasty things that are being said about Obama which having nothing to do with political beliefs, I suggest they all take note of what McCain had to say and how to lose with class and dignity)
Obama's message reflected what he has portrayed this entire campaign...a leader who is uplifting, unifying and inspiring.
Even if you are not a Democrat or you don't side with President Elect Obama's political views, I sure hope that you can still look beyond your differences and really appreciate what an amazing moment last night was for this country and for the world.
A few of my favorite quotes from Obama last night:
--"And, to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your president, too."
--"America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves: If our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made?"
--"It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled — Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of red states and blue states; we are, and always will be, the United States of America."
THE BEST: the "yes we can" portion at the end.....chills!!
Honestly you should just watch the speech yourself!
If this entire event does not inspire you, I suggest you check your pulse.
YES WE CAN!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment