Last week, Brian and I made an unexpected trip back to KS to say goodbye to a friend. Ryan Gunther, a classmate from high school, was killed in a single car accident. He was a truly unique individual and was loved by all. He is gone, but never forgotten.
Brian and Ryan were very good friends all through childhood and the best of friends in high school. They spent most of their free time together riding around, going to concerts, listening to and discussing books. One unique memory that Brian and I both share with Ryan is that our "first date" was with Ryan. Just before our high school graduation Brian, Ryan and I were hanging out a lot on the weekends. Brian and I were not yet a couple. One weekend the three of us went to dinner at Red Lobster in Topeka, it was that night when we returned to Valley that Brian and I had our first kiss. It was in Ryan's room on his couch, which coincidentally used to be Gary and Jayne's. After that we started dating. Neither Brian nor I can recall our first "date" by ourselves, we've always considered that night with Ryan as our first date.
As tragedy often does, it brought old friends back together. It was evident by the vast number of people that came to show their respects at the visitation and funeral, just how special Ryan was. Many members from the VFHS Class of 2002 were there as well. I am very thankful that so many people were able to attend Ryan's services and that we were all able to be together again.
Despite the fact that it has been 6 years since we have been together and many of us are married and/or have kids, when we reunite it feels like just yesterday when we were screwing around in the halls of the high school taking an extended "bathroom break" to avoid class; it is like we have never been apart. I am so thankful for all of my "old" friends. Brian and I are both very lucky to be apart of such a great group of people with so many memories. I know this catastrophic event has inspired us to make a more concerted effort to take advantage of the time we have with our loved ones -- family and friends -- and to not take our time here together for granted.
To each of you reading you are truly special to us and we thank you for being apart of our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment