Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake: It shook us awake....well one of us

If you have not turned on a TV, radio, or computer today, then allow me to be the first to tell you that there was an earthquake felt by many Midwesterners at 4:30am this morning. Depending on which of you lovely followers is reading this, you may have felt the shake yourself. St. Louis was one of many large cities within range to feel the earthquake, and I am sure you are wondering if Brian and I felt it.........well...........
Last night I was up until about 2:30am studying - OK let's be honest, cramming - for Friday morning's Binocular Vision test. I was sound asleep when I awoke (well opened my eyes at least) to Brian's "its shaking, we're shaking" cries as he sat in bed tapping me. [He'll deny it, but its totally true.] I was far from awake and I sort of felt the bed shaking side to side, but was not sure if it was the end of my dream or real. As it stopped I rolled out of bed stood up on the ground and informed him nothing was shaking and then crawled back under the covers and back to sleep. When 6:30 rolled around and it was time to get up, Brian went straight to the TV and turned it on. The only news of the morning on local stations was the Southern Illinois earthquake felt in St. Louis. It was not until then that I even realized that the shaking I had felt was real! I was so out of it when it all happened that it never occurred to me that if it were just a dream Brian would not be feeling it too.....long nights of studying can have detrimental effects to any brainpower needed beyond the test! Brian yelled from the TV, "I told you it was an earthquake. Do you remember what you said to me last night?" I did remember, it wasn't shaking by the time I got out of bed. He was surprised I was able to go back to sleep because from 4:30 on he didn't do much sleeping--he was worried about the foundation. Heck ya I went back to sleep, I thought it was all part of a dream and I never really woke up in the first place. Even if I had totally awoken, I doubt earthquake would have been my first guess, explosion or plane/train crash seem much more probable.
The earthquake was a HOT topic that morning at school and it wasn't done giving us stories. Fifteen minutes into the test, the table started shaking, I looked to my left and Derek was erasing furiously. I thought to myself, "good god, you are shaking the whole table!". Then the floor shook and the ceiling and walls started to rattle....it was an aftershock. I am kind of glad I got to be awake for that one to really feel what it was like!
So I survived my first Earthquake--and my test too!! I never would have guessed that after 22.5 years in KS and 2 years in MO that I experienced an earthquake before a tornado! But I'm NOT complaining.

No comments: